Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The crafty world of Up in Annie's Room

Amidst all the BrisStyle Indie Designers Market preparations this week we caught up with Emma from Up in Annie's Room for a chat about her fun and fabulous accessories.

How would you describe your work?

Eclectic would probably be the best description. I often joke that I suffer from “crafter ADD”, I love to try something new but I always make time for my old favorites as well. I like to think I make fun, quirky and affordable pieces. At the very least I have fun making them and when others have fun wearing them that’s a huge buzz for me.

How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I actually started out on a site called OzeBaby sewing flongies (yep, it’s a real word!) and modern cloth nappies before I had a go at making scrabble tile pendants and then I was hooked. I got the jewelry bug and there was no turning back. From there I built up my own online store and a lovely friend put me onto etsy about 2 years ago. The name “Up in Annie’s Room” often confuses people as my name isn’t Annie, it’s something my grandmother always u
sed to say when I lost something “It’s up in Annie’s Room behind the clock”.


Who or what inspires you?
Oh gosh, anything and everything. Books I’m reading, music, art, my kid’s books, things I notice out and about and there’s probably a good dose of cheesy nostalgia in there too for good measure.

Do you ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ as part of your creative process?
I reuse old game pieces for my scrabble and domino tile pendants and old typewriter keys on the TypeStyle bracelets. I do like to repurpose and upcycle wherever possible.


Can you describe your studio / work area?
We live in an old Queenslander where space is at a premium so half of the study I share with my husband is usually covered in stock at various stages of completion as well as my mac which sometimes looks more like a jewelry rack. I did make an attempt to convert the laundry downstairs into a work area but as it floods in heavy rain I had to retreat from that idea.

What is your favourite thing in the shop at the moment?
My new Kite Girl acrylic pendant, this is my first design I have had laser cut as pa
rt of a limited edition of acrylic and sterling silver jewelry.


Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work?
Australian store
Blog

Etsy Shop

You can also find Up in Annie's Room at the BrisStyle Indie Designers Market this Saturday 6 March, 9am-2pm at St Augustine's Church Hall and Grounds, Racecourse Road, Hamilton, Brisbane.

5 comments:

Noogal Creations said...

Beautiful Creations and a lovely story!

wimcee said...

Just love the kite girl to bits!

Hip Brown said...

Lovely Story! The kite girl necklace is soooo cute but also very elegant!

Helen said...

Just gorgeous xox can't wait to see all of your goodies at the BrisStyle Indie Market this Saturday xox

Chrisy said...

That kite girl necklace is so verrry lovely...