Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Crafty Adventures of Eliza from Elvenhair

This week the BrisStyle team caught up with Eliza from Elvenhair to talk about her chaotic and crafty adventures.

How would you describe your work?
My work is pretty chaotic. I always have several projects on the go at once. For example, at the moment I'm working on the Galozels, a species of crocheted toy that lives in the weeds of your garden, books about the Galozels, scented candles, baby clothing and sock monsters! That's between the times when I'm singing and playing the harp, naturally.


How did your Etsy shop come into being?
Years ago I use to sell my art on ebay. I had a very successful business going, but I felt a bit like a machine. I wanted something more personal, more human. I heard about Etsy and found it was a wonderfully warm place, with people who supported and did not compete, and who were willing to help out newbies. I was hooked! I soon stopped selling on ebay in favour of Etsy totally.


Who or What inspires you?
Everything inspires me - ideas seem to pop into my head all the time. For example, I was getting breakfast ready when I realised that the baby Galozels would fit into an egg carton, and when I was getting out cups and saw my never used but precious china in the back of the cupboard I thought about filling them with wonderfully scented candles. Inspiration is around us everyday if we are open to it.


Do you 'reduce, reuse, recycle' as part of your creative process? If yes, how is your art/craft eco-friendly?
The Galozels will soon be joined by the sock monsters. You know how you are always missing just one sock? Well, that's what happens to them - they crawl under the bed and turn into sock monsters! They will be in the book "The Pirate Adventure" - as the Pirates!


What is your favourite thing in the shop at the moment?
"The Great Adventure"! It's a book based on the Galozels that can be personalised to a child's name. In it, the Galozels go on an adventure that includes your child, all the while giving positive affirmations and learning about native Australian animals.


Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work?
I try to keep fairly up-to-date on my blog - Bambooslice.

Thank-you for your time Eliza!

No comments: