Monday, December 12, 2011

Crafty Folk: Gilded Goldfish

Welcome to the latest edition in our Crafty Folk series. This week we caught up with Emmaline Lamond from Gilded Goldfish.

How would you describe your work?
I am a passionate creative type with an insatiable compulsion to embellish everything I make. I just cant help it, in my eyes everything looks better with beautiful origami paper, cute vintage buttons or a piece of lovely fabric added to one of my prints or cards, I tell myself this is a good thing as it means all my work is one of a kind, and whilst this is true, I really just do it because I love colourful sparkly things…oh and of course shopping for colourful sparkly things!

How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I signed up to Esty long before I set up a shop, one of my friends kept telling me I had to start selling on there, I kept saying I would but didn’t. Eventually I got myself in order, brought a nice camera, started taking photos of my prints and well you know how the rest goes…my Etsy shop was born.


  
 Who or What inspires you?
I can be inspired by just about anything, but I love the beautiful patterns that nature makes, I’m always taking photos of tree bark, close up flower petals, pretty leaves, though this inspiration doesn’t necessarily translate into my work. I also absolutely love the Art Nouveau and Art Deco art styles, I recently discovered a great new artist Tamara Lempicka, an amazing Art Deco painter, there is something so powerful about the figures she paints.

Do you ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ as part of your creative process?  If yes, how is your art / craft eco-friendly?
My boyfriend call me Mrs Magpie, I love collecting things, I’m not picky either, I accumulate all sorts of wonderful things, last time I went to an antiques fair I left with a new bracelet, a monk shaped cookie jar, an old brass school bell, vintage cloth oh the list goes on! In an effort to reduce this ever growing eclectic collection I always try to incorporate found objects into my work, be it vintage buttons, fabric, ribbon and ric rac to embellish my hand printed cards or lovingly refurbishing old picture frames to house my prints.


  

Can you describe your studio / work area?
I live in a tiny two bedroom apartment, I am lucky enough to be able to use one of the two rooms as a studio, its small, I have no storage space but its all mine! I often work in the company of my very sweet curly haired La Perm cat, Shaggy he’s great company and always listen to everything I have to say.  But to be more specific, I have a large table on which I sew, draw, print and generally daydream. I am surrounded by pictures of family and friends, projects just started and some they may never be finished- but pretty much anything I could need is only an arms reach away.

What is your favorite thing in the shop at the moment?
I love me new Dear print, I just think he is so sweet, I enjoyed the whole creative process for him from start to finish.


Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work?
Website
Etsy Store
Facebook
Twitter

 
Thank you Emmaline for sharing a little about yourself and your creative adventure. We look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work at our markets.

1 comment:

Emmaline said...

Hi Kellie,

Thanks for the great post, I love it!

Cheers
Emma