Monday, September 15, 2014

Meet the maker - Deb Magee - Lady Brass Steampunk Garnishes

This week we catch up with Deb, the creative mind behind Lady Brass Steampunk Garnishes

 
Were you creative as a child/do you come from a creative family?
I loved drawing and art as a child through school & college and I was encouraged by my family to continue doing something I loved so I’m just about to finish my Fine Arts majoring in Assemblage Sculpture & Assemblage Ceramics.

How would you describe your work?
My Lady Brass work is an extension of that art background with my jewellery & garnishes being “assembled” and original pieces created in the Steampunk genre.

How has your work evolved since you started?
I find myself exploring and engaging in all the different styles within this look which has resulted in some fun pieces.   I was always being asked where I got my own jewellery from and said that I made my own so people wanted me to make them something and so my work evolved.
 
-->

Who or what inspires you?
The whole Steampunk genre. Just love it J and all things Vintage Victorian Steam Metal Clocks Cogs – things made to last! Things made by craftsmen with time honoured skills.

Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process?  If yes, how is your art/craft eco-friendly?
I use a lot of recycled parts/pieces and bits in my work as I love Metal! In all its forms and I’m a regular caller at the Brisbane Metal Scrap Yard!! I also love Reverse Garbage for some fascinating bits & bobs to create my garnishes.  I’m a bit of a bowerbird!

Describe your studio/workspace?
Haaha that’s funny as my family will tell you I’ve taken over the – garage!  The Study! and the entire dining  table!

What is your favourite thing to make?
I think I like assembling Brooches the best as I can combine so many elements to create a unique one of a kind piece.

 
-->
How did your business/shop name come about?
Whilst going over a number of name options – my gorgeous son came in and said “Mom you love Brass and you are a Lady – why not “Lady Brass” – now who could refuse such a lovely compliment! So Lady Brass Steampunk Garnishes was born.

Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?
Creating a more comprehensive range and for Men as well and expanding my work to bigger pieces such as gauntlets, chest strapping’s etc.

What’s your top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade/creative market?
Hey – take a Big Breath and Step Out – be confident in what your “mark making” is and the BrisStyle group are the best and most supportive people to start with!
  

-->
Describe your typical creative day?
Well – my dining table is right in the middle of the room with all my bits & pieces on it! so I’m always “doing” throughout the day J

Favourite quote
Life is like a Cherry – each bite is sweeter than the last!

Music or movie while creating?
Hee hee – “Flashdance” & “Star Trek”

What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?
A gorgeous brass heart split in the middle then riveted together – the imagery of the piece speaks volumes

Where can we find you online/stockists?  
facebook - lady brass steampunk garnishes

No comments: