Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Meet the Maker - Kat Parsons - Kazzycaboodles Creations

This week we catch up with Kat Parsons PhD student and creative mind behind Kazzycaboodles Creations


Were you creative as a child/do you come from a creative family?
Yep I sure was – I have been drawing ever since I was old enough to hold a pencil. My parents are also creative - mum is a botanical painter and my dad likes to build things.

How would you describe your work?
A reflection of myself as a scientist, fossicker and cartoonist, most of my works are related to either one or all of these roles. 


How has your work evolved since you started?
I guess it has become more involved in terms of geology (active mineral collecting in the field) as well as more focused upon recycling and reusing found objects.

How did you start selling online/ Etsy?
I found out about Etsy through BrisStyle and decided to open a store. Since then I haven’t looked back. I have met so many wonderful people on there! :)


Who or what inspires you?
Science inspires me (specifically geology) and the rush of getting out in the great outdoors to find items. My fiancĂ© and family also inspire me along the way – keeping me motivated and contributing ideas.

Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process?  
Yep I sure do. I use recycled clothing and fabric remnants to make my fabric button stud earrings, use vintage buttons for my button earrings, salvage / recycle photo frames for original artworks or displays, and even use copper wire out of dumped televisions to wire wrap raw minerals.


Describe your studio/workspace?
Chaos! In all seriousness it is a room in our small three-bedroom townhouse.  In there I have my trusty table and chair (which I got for free) with an extensive collection of vintage buttons and minerals displayed in glass jars. I also have a large amount of vintage / collectible items in there too so it feels more like an antique store than workspace.

What is your favourite thing to make?
Oooh that’s a hard question! I guess it would be hand drawn wooden brooches as I can create something that’s small, colourful and full of character in one sitting.


How did your business/shop name come about?
My nickname is Kaz, I have the whole kit and caboodle when it comes to my creations (earrings, artworks etc).

Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?
I am hoping to become more involved in markets (whether that be volunteering or having a stall). I would really love to meet new artists and make friends.

What’s your top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade/creative market?
Create what you love. This ensures that you love every bit of the process. Also don’t give up. Persistence is key.


Describe your typical creative day?
PhD, craft, PhD, craft. Rinse and repeat. I tend to mix my creative hours between hours of study.

Favourite quote?
“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” -  Norman Vincent Peale.

Music or movie while creating?
Indie / alternative music – Tired Pony, Snow Patrol, Interpol, Doves, Turin Brakes etc. The album I have on repeat at the moment is The Ghost of the Mountain by Tired Pony.


What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?
A three pack of handmade hair bows from Lavender Latte. They are so cute and so incredibly well made!!!


Where can we find you online/stockists?
www.etsy.com/shop/kazzycaboodles
www.facebook.com/kazzycaboodlescreations
www.instagram.com/kazzycaboodles
www.pinterest.com/kazzycaboodles

No comments: