Monday, February 1, 2016

Our first Monday Maker for 2016 is Keneena from the label Kablooie Store

Well I hope everyone is well rested from that wonderfully long summer break and now ready to get creating. The Monday Maker series for 2016 will start off with something really cute.

Kablooie Store. 

Let's find out more about this gorgeous children's clothing label.

Hi Keneena and thank you for making the time to share your thoughts with us today.

Were you creative as a child?

Yes!  I was constantly drawing, painting, using clay or making books. I ran a card making business for about a week when I was 8, with my mum and her friends as my main customers! 

Do you come from a creative family?

As I got older my mum taught me to sew and knit and I loved working with different mediums in art class at school.

How would you describe your work? 

I love all sorts of creating. 

I love to sew simple, fun clothing for kids.  

I absolutely love fabric, it is a bit of an addiction, and I love picking something absolutely gorgeous to showcase in clothing. 

I love to sew clothing in non traditional, colourful, but totally funky fabrics that both you and your child will love.

How has your work evolved since you started?  

I started sewing from remnants left over from my own sewing projects, using a skirt pattern I made up to sew for my daughter.  

I love to sew with high quality cottons, but I've become a little more adventurous in my search for the perfect fabric, trying out metallic denims, and dance fabrics too!  

I love to make things with my own individual touch, but as I have gained experience I also like to look for the newest trends that people love in colour and style and work with that.



How did you start selling on Etsy?

Etsy was my first choice because I already shopped there and was a member - I love handmade simply because you can find such individual and unique products, lots of little niches.  

When I first decided to try selling my own things, it was the first place I thought of. 

Who or what inspires you?  

The things I make are definitely inspired by colour and pattern, just a particular shade or combination of colours and shapes can make me explode with ideas!  

My love of sewing is also inspired by my Mum, who taught me as a teenager.  I'm also daily inspired by all new and amazing ideas I see coming from other makers - there's an endless stream of creativity in people, and everyone is so different!


Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process?  

I started out using remnants to make a few new products, like hair accessories and belts, to use up all my gorgeous little scraps of fabric that might have gone to waste otherwise.  I can't bear to throw out bits of fabrics that I love!


Describe your studio/workspace? 

At the moment I have a sewing table and an extra trestle table set up in our rumpus room downstairs - it works so well!  I sit and sew or stand and cut, and my kids play around me in the other half of the room, or my oldest does his homework.

It doesn't get a lot of natural light, but I'm brightening it up with some handmade treasures I've been collecting!



What is your favourite thing to make? 

I do love sewing up little girls skirts - they are so simple but can showcase a funky fabric so well.....in my own time I love to sew cute softies or car caddies for little friends!

And how did your business name come about?

Kablooie kinda means an explosion or a splat - it popped into my head because I love big, loud, colourful fabrics and I wanted my range of kids clothing to be like an explosion of colour and fun.   The name is to reflect that. 


Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months? 

I'd like to try out some new products, and keep sewing simple designs from awesome fabrics that just make people smile out loud!

What’s your top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade/creative market?  

Just start!  You'll never be completely ready but you learn so much more by doing!  

And get savvy with social media to connect with people who love handmade.




Describe your typical creative day? 

Hmmm.  It usually starts with a quick Instagram post while stuffing breakfast into my 2 year old's mouth, getting my oldest (and now my new preppy!) into school, uniforms and lunches into bags...zoom off for drop offs, gym, grocery shopping, errands, lunch and finally time to work during my daughter's nap time.  

I usually work on photography during the day to catch the light, as well as some cutting and sewing.  Then after a crazy afternoon of pickups, arvo tea, homework, housework, baths, and dinner, everyone gets tucked into bed, hubby and I have a quick catch up, then it's off to the sewing room to get stuck into orders!  

I often spend swimming lessons editing photos or working on my website.



















What kind of music do you like to listen to while creating?

It's more often Peppa pig in the background than anything, although I like to listen to podcasts from @mumswithhustle when I get a chance, and I also like to catch up on recordings from some church meetings when I'm cutting.

What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?

I love my colourful screen prints tee shirts from smukieau on etsy - I have three and just recently bought another for a gift! 

I also love buying handmade jewellery, I have heaps!

Where can we find you online?


and I also have some stock at The Collective Store, which is in Wynnum, Brisbane.

How long have you been a member of BrisStyle? 

I just joined up in 2015. I started Kablooiestore in June 2015, and joined BrisStyle a few months later.

How did you find out about BrisStyle? 

I found out about BrisStyle when I was looking for Etsy teams to join, as well as Friday and Saturday markets to participate in.

Why did you become a member?  

It looked great!  I also really want to try out market selling and the brisstyle markets look amazing.  I loved the idea of being part of a creative community, and although I'm starting slowly, I'd like to get more involved (as much as life with three kids allows me too!).





























Why do you craft Keneena?

I love it!  I always see fabric and think, oh I need to make something with that! 

I'm sure a lot of creatives can relate to that, and thank you Keneena for your creative encouragement.

No comments: