Monday, April 11, 2016

Jenny from Thorigami - Monday Maker

Jenny must be one of the cheeriest creative people I've ever met. Always helpful and often helping out as one of our gorgeous 'market Angels'. I've been wanting to interview her for quite a while. Well the opportunity finally came.

And here it is. Hello Jenny and thank you so much for being this week's Monday Maker.

Do you come from a creative family?

Both my parents are creative in different ways, so were my grandparents. My mum always knitted, crocheted, baked and stitched. As a child l would watch her, she was also very good at sewing, as was my grandmother, who was a seamstress. My parents are also very creative with their garden, creating an amazing space in their back yard and at their summer house in the forest. 

My Dad is incredible at creating things from his own designs, he builds outdoor rooms from recycled windows, outdoor showers, he can basically build anything and is a very creative person. They have both inspired me in different ways to be creative.

Were you creative as a child?

As a child l was sick a lot, so l guess l always had a lot of time being creative. I loved drawing and cutting things out and sorting my grandmother's buttons into colours. 

My grandmother taught me how to crochet at the age of about 7. She was a cool grandmother as she also taught me to play poker, with tooth picks as money, it still makes me laugh thinking about it. 

l would make Christmas gifts for my family, pretty wonky potholders mainly.  My dad also would take the time to teach me how to make my own wooden butter knives, cutting boards etc, which found their way into Christmas presents. 
I basically loved doing things with my hands and creating little things from a very early age.




How would you describe your work?

I would describe my work as a little bit whimsical and very much inspired by nature. 
I love to watch things come to life, it really gives me a happy feeling. 

So basically my work is colorful and mainly inspired by nature. The shape, the colours all play a big part, even in my daily life. 


What is your favourite thing to make?

Big crochet toadstools, cacti and colorful mandalas are some of my favorite things to make, as well as folding origami into tiny little creations and then making them into earrings. 
I find the process really calming.

Focusing internally on one little thing, and being very repetitive, is almost like meditating.


Has your work evolved since you started?

I guess l am always evolving, l think if l stop evolving my craft, l would get immensely bored.

Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process? 

I try to use as much recycled paper as l can, as well as buying recycled silver findings. Op shopping for yarn and ripping up sweaters. I like to do as much as l can, another example is that the stuffing l use for my toadstools and cactus are usually from old cushions. 

Most of the things l make can also be taken apart and recycled or reused for other things, if you get tired of them.



Describe your workspace?

I work from many places in my house, in front of the TV, on my sunny deck, out in the back yard or cafes. My craft is easy to take on the road, l guess because both paper and yarn are very portable.

l also have a sunroom, which l love sitting in, on my old yellow vinyl, late 60's chairs, around my octagonal table. The space is so full of light and also very close to my yarn and other things l need.




How did your business name come about?

My name came about, talking to my partner about names and just mucking around. He said "how's about Thorogami? Your surname and origami merged!" l liked it and from there it went. 

Hopefully l will still feel happy and inspired in the next year or so and keep coming up with new things to make. But l will never stop being creative, making and creating makes me happy and challenges me in many ways, l love it!




What's your top tip to others wanting to break into the creative market?

I would say to any one wanting to start selling their crafty creations, just do it, be brave, jump in! Join a creative group like BrisStyle and get involved, talk to other creative people and make things you love.

Describe your typical creative day?

The great thing about working from home is that l can stay in pj's if l want, drink tea all day and be around my two dogs, who sometimes get tangled in my yarn, especially my Chihuahua, Pippi, who likes to sleep on my lap. 

I really like it. But I guess my typical creative day doesn't just last 9-5, it goes into the evening, weekends and pretty much anytime. I love that it's flexible and that l love doing it, l never feel bored.


Do you like to listen to music or have any fave  movies while creating? 

I love listening to all sorts of music whilst creating, and also binge watch series on Netflix, naughty, l know. Sometimes l just love sitting outside with only the birds and the sound of my little back yard, it all depends on my mood.

What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?

One of my favorite handmade things l've bought is a pair of silver earrings from a silver village in Sumatra, it was a really lovely place to visit and it took us a couple of hours to walk there, something l will never forget. 

But l also love many local Brisbane makers. Buying handmade is wonderful.

Where can we find you online

I am a bit of a procrastinator and have been saying for about 1 year that l'm going to start my etsy and madeit shops, l have started filling out everything, but then l get distracted. 

But you can find me on Instagram @jemthorsan_thorogami
and here www.facebook.com/thorogamibythor

Thank you so much for wanting share my journey

Do you have a Favourite quote 

One of my favourite quotes are 'My religion is simple, my religion is kindness' HH Dalai Lama


How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?

l think l am on my third year now that l have been a member. 

How did you find out about BrisStyle?

I was invited to the Christmas party at Southside Tearoom, by Sharon, from Treble Two. We met at a crochet group, she thought l should come along. l am so glad l did, l loved it, even though l think it took me another 6 months to join. 


Why did you become a member?

l became a member because it felt like such a lovely community, easy going and encouraging, very friendly. l also wanted to feel part of a group of other creative people. 

Why do you craft?

l craft because it is part of me, l always have and always will craft, make things and think of things l want to try. Crafting challenges me and also keeps me happy, 

Well thank you so much Jenny, it's been lovely talking to you.









1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for having me and putting up with my ramblings �� �� Jenny xx