Monday, August 7, 2017

Monday Maker - Bagua Lala

Hello Sadia, tell us a bit about yourself.

Were you creative as a child?

I think I was more curious and my Mother encouraged me to try different things. I remember I had a collection of beads and a 'Spirograph'.

And your parents, are they creative?

My Mother knows how to draw.
How would you describe your work?

I do little things with my hands for your beautiful fingers and ears. I really think that we don't need to wait for people to give us a gift to feel loved. Our style is a way to present our identity, and I try to propose a panel of colours to fit with our state of mind too. This is about feelings, each jewellery piece has a story, and has come from a different part of the world, so when somebody buys one of my products, a real relationship starts between them.

How has your work evolved since you started?

I worked with recycled buttons from my Mother, originally, and then when travelling I decided to keep a piece of each place we visited by collecting a few buttons that were really different from what I had ever seen. Then I decided to add some ribbon and play with different materials.

Recently, I have created earrings, adding beads to my work. I am surprise I didn't go to beads first but I always have been in love with buttons! :)

Who or what inspires you?

I think I am inspired mostly by artists like Van Gogh, drawers of Zentangling as well as writers of personal development books

Brisbane and Queensland encourage me to keep my eyes open to creativity. Everything around is so colourful! Nature is so impressive. I love patterns for example and you can find patterns everywhere!

Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process?  

YES! Some of my buttons and beads come from my secret box. Clients sometimes offer me some of their beautiful 'leftovers' and hope I can do something with it.

Sometimes, I can create something after many years! One of my last pair of earrings has been made with a necklace I had stashed more than 15 years ago.

Can you describe your workspace?

I have a special room to create, I always go back in the living room to have light and be near the kitchen to prepare cups of tea.

What is your favourite thing to make?

I think the earrings are becoming something I prefer, probably because it is new to me and I like to challenge myself. I also create my own gift boxes and I really enjoy doing that.

I love Zentangling and drawing classes as well as drawing on paper or fabrics. I am thinking about doing something with these new skills.

How did your business/shop name come about?

Bagua Lala comes from Bague à Lala which means in French :  Ring of Lala. Lala, is one of my nicknames I received from a friend at school and it stays

Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?

I would like to create a different line in jewellery, handmade cards and decoration. But 12 months doesn't look like enough time so during this time I will improve my skills and my style.

Do you have a top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade market?

I would say enjoy the opportunity to talk people. You don't need to wait for them to purchase, try to imagine you are them and get to know your customers.

There are so many choices everywhere, and we are all trying to do our best to please people. But remember to continue to create things that YOU like by adding love and piece of soul in everything you create.

Respect your product, they are born from you. They were just ideas before you decided to give birth to them. Enjoy speaking with your stall neighbours, you can share a lot of things and advice with other creative people!

Describe your typical creative day for us?

I put everything I have on my table before I start work.  It looks like a mess. Often I will go back to a previous creation, to repair or to change something.

I like to go buying new supplies even if I have enough at home. I mix what I already have with new things. Sometimes, as I told you about recycling, I can buy something and wait several months before using it. That's really funny because when I buy, I know exactly what I want to do with it.

Do you have a Favourite inspirational quote?

'The better is the enemy of good'.

But it sounds so much better in French, "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" and 'Do your best at this precise time, that's the most important.'

Favourite Music while creating?

Music of my teenage years or any playlist I have made on Spotify. I have one with just soft songs

How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?

I am still 'new', I arrived in July 2016.

How did you find out about BrisStyle and what made you take them plunge and become a member?

Thanks to Sarah from Designs of the Heart, when I met her at an Etsy market and thanks to Meg from Stychy Wytchy when I discovered my first Twilight market as a customer.

I wanted to be a visible part of a community. I like this idea in the City. You feel supported and you can share. I like it a lot.

Why do you craft?

I like this question.! I think I like to invite others to not forget themselves, especially women.
When you offer yourself as a gift, it is a sign of self-esteem and you can improve your self-esteem this way.

I like to invite people to make a special gift too. Something with a story, a personality. I think I like to achieve things. It makes me feel really proud of myself.

1 comment:

Alan Curtis said...

I want to share with you all here on how I get my loan from Mr Benjamin who help me with loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i apply for the loan when things was getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin grant me loan without delay. here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, lfdsloans@outlook.com.