Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Crafty World of Denim Days

This week the BrisStyle team caught up with Tracey from Denim Days for a little chat about her crafty practice.


How would you describe your work?


My favourite medium is recycled denim, it has so many different colours and textures….pockets, zips, belt loops, hems – so much to inspire and so easy and comfortable to wear! I am a true craft nut, always trying something new, so my work is an eclectic mix of whatever inspires me at the time.


How did your Etsy shop come into being?

A customer introduced me to Etsy, I was so excited to see so many like minded people in one place! I started my Etsy shop soon after, about 3 years ago, procrastinated for about a year, then timidly started listing my work. Once I joined this lovely group of people 'BrisStyle' my confidence grew, which in turn has helped my shop to grow.

Who or what inspires you?

Every where, every thing I see, sometimes the smallest thing can start a great idea - I just love to see hand made becoming so popular online and now in retail shops as well, Mum and I email each other at least 2 or 3 times a day with amazing finds that inspire us both.


Do you ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ as part of your creative process?

The main focus for my hand crafting is to reuse and recycle in an effort to help our environment. My denim range is completely recycled, I have a range of pretty flowers that are recycled from vintage clothing, I post my orders in envelopes I made from recycled fashion mags. I try to make every product with reduce, reuse, recycle in mind.


Can you describe your studio/work area?

I am so lucky, I started off on the coffee table, but now have a whole room at the heart of the house. I am surrounded by the things that inspire me, I can leave my projects all out ready to come back to anytime I like, I find my work so enjoyable.

What is your favourite thing in the shop at the moment?

I think my favourite is my denim necklaces, I wear one nearly every day, I find them so comfortable and I think they look great.


Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work?

My children's range can be found at House and Doll 164 Oxford St Bulimba. Other items can be found at Thousand Island Dressing Oxford St Bulimba.

And online at:
Etsy
madeit
gearing up

PLUS!! Tracey will also be at the BrisStyle Indie Twilight Market this Friday night 5-9pm, 30 April at King George Square, Brisbane City.

8 comments:

Chrissy Foreman C said...

Aaaaaawesome!

Hot Fudge said...

What a lovely post - thank you Rebecca for producing it and thank you Tracey for your inspirational words. Best of luck at the Twilight Market!

alipink said...

Love those denim mushrooms! I love these seller interviews - always so interesting to find out more about the seller behind the work.

Denim Days said...

Yes thank you Rebecca! Thanks also to all the BrisStyle members, I love being a part of this fabulous group of talented people. Can't wait for Friday...BrisStyle under the stars!!!

Helen said...

Hey Trac thanks so much fro sharing all your denimy secrets with us all. Can't wait to see how your stall is laid out at Friday's Twilight Markets in KGS as you always have such a fab display.

xh

Chrisy said...

It's always uplifting to read about other's 'crafty' lives...their inspirations...where they work... And oh your work! It's a treat to see work with its own unique style. Thanks for sharing Tracey, I really enjoyed this.

Bec said...

Such a beautiful and eclectic selection of works!!! I REALLY love those mushrooms :D

Sandra Darling Visual Art Creations said...

I love the mushrooms and denim flower brooch!! awesome :)

Sandra Darling xoxo