Thursday, February 3, 2011

Going Green with Red tree designs!

This week, the BrisStyle team caught up with Margeaux, the eco lovin' lady behind Red tree designs.
This is what she had to say about her sustainable and ethical clothing and accessories label.

How would you describe your work?
I design and make 'Red tree designs' shoulder bags and women's and children's clothing from vintage and pre-loved fabrics.  I would say the style of my clothing and bags is classic, simple and practical in natural or earthy colours.


How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I have always designed and made my own clothes and bags and secretly dreamed of one day selling my wares, so while on maternity leave, I grabbed the opportunity.  After selling from a market stall for a while, my friend suggested I sell on Etsy and now I'm obsessed. I love it - I can create and sell from home, without having to leave 'the mountain' and my two little boys.


Who or What inspires you?
My inspiration comes from the gorgeous pre-loved fabric that I find.  There's nothing better than finding the most perfect second-hand piece of fabric (say a curtain, upholstery remnant or vintage sheet) in a beautiful soft or earthy colour and great texture and turning it into a lovely dress or bag to be used and loved again.....very rewarding.


Do you 'reduce, reuse, recycle' as part of your creative process? If yes, how is your art/craft eco-friendly?
Absolutely. I try to make Red tree designs as eco-friendly as I can. I only use second-hand or vintage fabric, zips, buttons, leather belts, wooden curtain rings etc.  My tags, business cards, and packaging are all made from recycled paper. I even use cereal boxes (turned inside out) to make my post packs - which I then walk to the post office!


Can you describe your studio/work area?
My sewing room is a loft at the top of my wooden house, looking out into the bush in Mt Nebo. I love being up there sewing, looking out into the trees and listening to the sound of birds and my sleeping babies (and a noisy sewing machine!).


What is your favourite thing in the shop at the moment?
At the moment I really like my up-cycled shoulder bags which are made from upholstery remnants, curtains etc. They're so slouchy, practical and stylish in such beautiful colours.  Every time I finish one I think 'if this doesn't sell quickly, I'll keep it for myself'.


Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work?
Red tree designs can also be found at Made It and ethikl.

What an inspirational 'designer' and 'maker'! Thank-you for letting us take a peek into your world Margeaux.

5 comments:

wimcee said...

You're inspirational! Wonderful interview Margeaux.

shelleyberelli said...

What pretty fabrics and gorgeous designs. xx

edward and lilly said...

Great interview, I'd love to see a Red Tree Designs stall at one of the BrisStyle markets!

clippingimages said...

Awesome .I like all.Thanks to share your all materials...........



Havenlife@rocketmail.com

stephski said...

love it!! such great products and soooo friendly to the earth!