Thursday, May 24, 2012

Your Creative Business: Defining Success

She's Singing Her Own Song Art Print by Chrissy Foreman Cranitch
We recently came across a post on the Etsy Blog called 'Noted: Defining Success as an Artist'. The article talks about how jobs in the arts have suffered sharp falls in the last seven years and how it's getting harder and harder to make a living as an artist. The article got us thinking.....how do creatives define success? Is it being financially stable, is it selling a certain amount of product per week, is it fame or something completely different?

We would love to know how you as an artist/crafter define success and if your idea of success has changed throughout your career. Leave us a comment below with your thoughts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to think that if people love my work and I love creating it, thats success. Everything else on top of that is gravy. D x

Small Business Marketing Consultant said...

Thank you so much for sharing all the green information , Your information is added a lot to think I am also satisfy for your information.

Trish Goodfield said...

It's the same way I define any type of success; am I happy? If I rely on any sort of external barometer I'm likely to lose myself

Chrissy Foreman C said...

I agree with Trish - It's a feeling-based thing for me. And to be honest, my feelings of success fluctuates greatly!
Real success for me is when I put my heart and soul into my work and it is received by others.
I want to touch people and connect with people through my work so much, as to me, it's the ultimate act of giving.
The fact this occurs mostly online can mean that sometimes, I base my success on how many likes or comments I get, as I have no other way of receiving feedback. Face to face market events and exhibitions always uplift my spirits because it's much easier to connect, truly connect with people. Anyway, long, long rant here!
Thanks so much for featuring my artwork too - I stumbled across it compeltely by accident when I visited the BrisStyle blog! YAY!
Chrissy x

Sandrine said...

I enjoyed reading the comments, great food for thoughts post! xx