Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Artist behind Hungry Designs!

This week the BrisStyle team caught up with Amanda Whitelaw, the talented artist behind Hungry Designs.

How would you describe your work?
I would describe my work as being an eclectic mix of comic book style illustrations, cheese cake pin up and macabre styling - such as Day of the Dead themed illustrations or zombies. I design and draw/colour all of the illustrations used in my wearable art collection. These designs are then laser cut out of wood and made into brooches, hair clasps, necklaces, earrings and rings.


How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I started my Etsy store when I started to revamp my website. I had ordered goodies off of Etsy before opening my own Etsy store. It seemed to be a natural progression, I needed an online store to link to my website and I was rather taken with Etsy's low fees and brilliant exposure.


Who or What inspires you?
I am hugely inspired by modern American comics. I have been an avid collector since I was 16 and I feel this is reflected in my illustrations. I am also inspired by horror novels and sci fi movies. Retro and vintage fashion seems to be a new theme that I am becoming linked to. I love 60's fashion and feel that this is the main inspiration for the "Retro & Country Living" collections. My partner, Colin, inspires me on a daily basis and I can always count on his constructive and honest opinion. He's my fresh set of eyes.


Can you describe your studio/work area?
My studio is a mass of papers, woodcuts, glue and components. It's a large space and I make use of the walls, often sticking up postcards and photos that inspire me. I love books and have dozens of photography and graphic design books which I use as inspiration. It's an artistic mess but I always know where something is kept and take great pride in having my own space.....although my work station does seem to take over the rest of the house if I have wholesale orders or markets - much to Colin's concern! *grin*


What is your favourite thing in the shop at the moment?
I will always have a soft spot for the 'A Little Rain Brooch' - in blue and red. She was drawn on a whim and has fast become one of the most popular pieces in the store. She has even been tattooed on a wonderful fan, Liberty, which came as a complete surprise!


Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work?

6 comments:

morgandkim said...

so cool. I saw this artist at the Roller Derby last saturday in Beenleigh.

Such great work.
k

Kitty Boo Boo said...

Amanda as always you make my heart sing and wallet empty. I so love your work and can't wait to see so much more! Love it, Love it, Love it

Eliza said...

I can't believe how beautifully organised your space is! Want to come over and organise mine? ;)

Love the rainy day design too. Suitable for todays weather as well!

Tiff said...

These are gorgeous! I checked out your blog and I love your items :).

Hot Fudge said...

Do you clean up other people's cluttered work spaces by any chance? Guess not - but it was worth a shot. LOVE your work.

Sandrine said...

Great to sneak in Amanda creative place!x