Monday, March 14, 2016

It's Monday Maker Gen Rossouw from Jhoomka

Hi Gen and thanks for participating in the Monday Maker interview. 

I'd love to ask you just a few questions.

Firstly, do you come from a creative family?

Yes, I have a family of creatives, my mum makes quilts and my 3 aunties have all been very successful crafters.

How would you describe your work?

My earrings are funky ;)


Has your work changed since you started?

Yes, slowly and bit by bit I have tried new styles of earrings to make and improved the doilies heaps.

How did you start selling on Etsy?

I opened my Etsy store through joining  Brisstyle and talking to members. It seems to work for a lot of people so I thought to give it a go!

What inspires you?

Art, street art especially! 

Do you reduce or reuse as part of your creative process?

Yes I do! My earrings are from old tableclothes, reused and repurposed! They are eco-friendly :)


What is your work area like?

I have a small table set up at home.

Do you have a favourite thing to make?

Knitted beanies. There is an odd satisfaction that I get from knitting.

Where did the name Jhoomka come from?

Jhoomka means earrings in Nepalese and I recently spent a lot of time there and it seemed fitting and different.




Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?

I hope to get a small thriving business going as part of my creative journey as well as delving into different aspects of jewelry making such as wire work and making beads.

Do you have any advice for others trying to make it in the creative industry?

Persistence, patience and belief in your work.

Do you like to watch movies or listen to music while creating?

I watch movies when I make earrings or listen to blues music. Keeps the juices flowing :)



What is your favourite handmade object that you have bought?

A handmade bed spread from Cambodia. It must have taken hours for someone to make and it's so so gorgeous!

Where can we find you online?

https://www.facebook.com/Jhoomka




How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?

I joined only a few months ago.

And how did you find out about BrisStyle?

Through Facebook.

Why did you join?

I became a member to learn more about making my crafts into a business, how to do the markets and overall inspiration.

Why do you create Gen?

I can't sit still and it's a great way to release tension and stress



Thanks Gen and welcome to BrisStyle.

Anita



No comments: