Monday, September 7, 2015

Monday Maker - Meet Diana from Unique Lulu

Today in our Monday Maker Series we are chatting to Diana from Unqiue LuLu...
    
Were you creative as a child/do you come from a creative familyI come from a very creative family, but I was the one whose creativity was lost somewhere in the universe. As a child, I was never creative, struggled with it and felt a bit left aside as everyone in my family was so creative. 

How would you describe your work?
As a fun creative process where I can express myself and be who I really am.

How has your work evolved since you started
I have to say it has evolved A LOT, when I started it was just something that I liked, now it's something I feel passion for and that has given me the tools and motivation to look out on how to improve my products, the production, materials and designs. 

I was a bit terrified of doing this and telling the world who I am, creating my social media pages, the gatherings, meet ups, etc. has given Unique Lulú a chance to be out there, for me that is a massive evolution considering I only started a couple of months ago.

How did you start selling online/ Etsy?
I was encouraged by my sister to start an etsy shop with the few products I had at the moment.

Who or what inspires you?
I’m inspired by tribal, nordic and modern patterns. I’m obsessed with pastel colours but have found lately that neon colours go really well with my products. 

Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process?  
I do reuse and recycle some of the materials. For the handmade stamps, I use the leftovers of the cork that I use for the coasters. And the leftover from the fabric that I use as lining is also used as part of the packaging process of my product.

Describe your studio/workspace?
I work from home, my dining room/studio is where I create and produce.

What is your favourite thing to make?
I would have to say creating the stamps and creating fun designs with them for my products.

How did your business/shop name come about?
Unique Lulú comes from my middle name, which is Lucía, it was also my grandmother’s name who was VERY creative.
I love my middle name but it has always been that… “Just my middle name” so I wanted to be able to actually feel identified with it and, in a way, it also honours my grandmother.
‘Unique’ describes my products; they are all different and funky.

Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?
I see myself working full time in Unique Lulú, it might take more than 12 months, but I’m sure I’m on the right path and of course, my main goal is to make people feel happy with what I produce. 

What’s your top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade/creative market?
To STRONGLY believe in yourself and what you are capable of!

Describe your typical creative day.
Everyday is different for me. No day is the same, they are all creative, just expressed in different ways. One day you are smashing your designs and then another day you are a star managing your social media networks (for me they consume a lot of your creativity) and so on. 

I try not to fight with myself if I’m not creative one day with one thing in particular. I will swap to another (of the many) tasks that have to be done. 

Favourite quote?
“As you place more and more of your energy on what you intend to manifest, you’ll start seeing those intentions materializing”  - Dr. Wayne Dyer

What is your favourite Music or movie to have playing while creating ? 
Folk/Indie music is my favourite 

What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?
A bird painting made by an amazing Colombian artist. It was painted on a paper made out of vegetable fibre which gives it a really cool rustic vibe and outlines the details of the bird. 

Where can we find you online/stockists (links etc)?
    Instagram@uniquelulu_homewares

How long have you been a member of brisstyle?
I’m very new, I became a member at the beginning of August 2015.

How did you find out about brisstyle?
I went to one of the BrisStyle Indie Markets in May, saw all the information about Brisstyle and started looking more into it.

Why did you become a member?
Apart from all the benefits they give you as a member to make your handmade business grow, I love what Brisstyle do as a community to support craftisans. It’s not just about having a lot of members, but what I feel is that Brisstyle is creating a family where everyone supports each other and brings the best out of each member.

Why do you craft? It allows me to be me; I enjoy crafting, experimenting and creating. I also find crafting as a very useful tool to work on my mind and thought.

Thank you so much Diana, for sharing your creative story with us, we look forward to watching your business grow over the coming months! Stay tuned for next Monday as we introduce you to another Monday Maker. 

Anita x

No comments: