Monday, October 5, 2015

Monday Maker - Meet Huis Design

This week I have selected another newcomer to Brisstyle as our Monday Maker.

Meet Juliette Hooper and her label Huis Design.

Hi Juliette,

Were you creative as a child/do you come from a creative family?
I was always drawing as a child and if I could get my hands on clay I would go for hours. My Dad is very creative; he has spent much of his life restoring antiques, and he is a painter, quite successful too.

How would you describe your work?
Bold, simplistic with touches of modernism and yet the timber softens the look and adds natural elements.


How has your work evolved since you started?
I was following a vintage vibe for quite a while so it started with a rockabilly feel. I am now developing and forever created my own look, I think through my love of the retro era and art deco, my work has evolved into a slight modern look.
How did you start selling online/ via Etsy?
It was a fairly natural flow on from the markets I’m doing, it’s so simple to use with the appropriate apps etc.
Who or what inspires you?
I’ve recently come to find Lisa Messenger, she is very inspirational. My sister-in-laws, they have their own businesses and have been a wealth of support to me. Buildings, nature, shapes, the all play their part.
Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process? 
I try to use only local timbers, and the waste from larger cut objects is always used in some way and all our products are painted with low VOCs.
Describe your studio/workspace?
It’s basically a 1200mm desk! Yes, I really should fix that! It’s surrounded with colour swatches, art and quote, things I love.

What is your favourite thing to make?
Probably my triangle necklaces, I can mix each one up with metal and spikey bead, they all start the same but once strung on leather the look changes for each one.
How did your business/shop name come about (if applicable)?
My mother is from Holland, huis means home or house in Dutch, I have plans to expand the homewares section of huis design and cross over into interior design.
Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?
At the moment we are looking into getting some pretty cool machinery set up and from that bigger scaled items will be produced, homewares etc. It’s going to be fun.
What’s your top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade/creative market?
If you love it, jump in.
Describe your typical creative day?
Do the school drop off and get into it, if I have a market coming up I’m generally working in the studio putting pieces together. I’ll check my email a few times a day and post at least twice a day on Instagram. There are always tunes playing and copious amounts of tea flowing.

What is your Favourite quote?
Follow your bliss
Music or movie while creating?
Music
What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?
They are some very new stacking rings from Glass Rainbows, they are really beautiful. Denise is so talented.
Where can we find you online?
Instagram @huisdesign
How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?
This is my first year, I wanted to join for a long time and have finally taken the step, and have found it so worthwhile for my business.
How did you find out about BrisStyle?
Social media
Why did you become a member?
Community support, to meet likeminded people, develop my knowledge and learn.
Why do you craft?
It just wants to come out of me, I tried to stop once but I just kept coming back to it. I think it’s built in, I love it and it’s fun. I like the way it makes others feel too, that’s a big plus.
Thanks so much Juliette, it was great chatting to you. Stay tuned for our next week's Monday Maker!
Anita x

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 





 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 
 




 
 





 
 




 
 




No comments: