Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday Maker - Jemima from the label Pure Cute

Hello Jemima and welcome to BrisStyle! We'd love to know a bit more about you and your label 'Pure Cute'.

Were you creative as a child?

I was an unruly child. "Wild" they said. But not in a good way.

How would you describe your work?

I create beautiful clothes for precious little people to wear. My designs are more like those I'd create for Mums, only scaled down for their daughters.


I felt that most kid's clothes available were too 'practical' and unattractive.

The kind of clothes I make are the sort I'd like to remember my children wearing as they dream, play and explore.

Adventures were not made in a Department Store.



And how has your work grown since you started Jemima?

My early designs were unique but not very wearable. Over time, my work has become more tailored and intuitive. Lines are cleaner allowing little bodies to move with more freedom.

I don't pay much attention to 'trends' but rather trust in my own integrity of what I am making, and I am more confident in what I like. I focus on creating pieces that our babes adore wearing.



How did you start selling on Etsy?

I opened my Etsy shop because I wasn't afraid to fail.  Even with early clients, the layout of the etsy market space and the selling process had me longing to build my own website for my label. I knew I'd be able to really own and make that space mine. And the investment would keep me focused on making it work!

What inspires you?

Pastels! I'm unashamed of pastels. And anything metallic or sparkling. Reckless bravery inspires me as well as challenges and beginnings. ( I find that tying up loose ends is my Achilles heel ) I'm also inspired by what others create from their imagination and experiences.



Do you manage to reduce, reuse or recycle as part of your creative process?

Yes, I use recycled fabric and remnants where I can, for drafting and refining designs - it also helps me to learn about textiles that I haven't worked with before. Running a small home-grown design studio forces you to make your materials go as far as they can!

Can you describe your workspace for us?

A glorious tiny wedge of our apartment with one hour of gorgeous golden afternoon light. - on sunny days.  The rest of the time it's a maze of of Ikea clothes racks, perilously piled fabric and half finished projects laid out carefully in order.

Woe befalls the fool who moves anything without telling me!



Do you have a favourite thing to make?

I love finishing rolled hems on Flamenco dresses and fiddling with the oven temperature when I'm baking beads. I feel like a chemist.



How did your business name "Pure Cute" come about?

I was joking with my husband about what to call a baby modelling agency. "Pure Cute" popped out of my mouth. He laughed his head off and then started talking seriously about it. He wouldn't drop it. Wrong business idea but great name.

I had wanted to start my own children's label for years .... and when I found the courage to dive into it,  I pinched "Pure Cute" and here we are!

Yes, that is a great name Jemima! So where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?

I want to know what people dream about dressing their little babes in. I know what I like, but it's not just about that! Design is a collaboration.



What's your top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade market?

Never give up! Plan things....and do them. Keep going.

Describe your typical creative day?

Stolen bursts of time madly churning out work.....Sprinkled in-between with playing, walking, screaming and dancing with my little girl. I hop in between different hands on projects but save all the admin/marketing and writing for after bedtime.

Plus, there is a brand new newborn on board now too, so imagine extreme multitasking!



Do you have a favourite quote?

           "But what if I fall?
           Oh, but my darling...
           What if you fly?"

Do have a favourite program you like to watch or listen to while creating?

Re-runs of 'Sex in the City' - I know them by heart, so it doesn't distract me. It makes me feel like I'm still part of it - even with two babes at my feet.

What is your favourite handmade item you have ever bought?

A stunning handcrafted copper ring by Curiously Obsessed - it arrived as a gift from the designer Emma McKimmie two days before our beautiful babe Goldie was born.  I look at it every morning and remember that.

Where can we find you online?

www.purecute.com.au
www.facebook.com/purecutechild
www.purecute.etsy.com
www.instagram.com/purecutechild
www.pinterest.com/purecutechild

How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?

I joined in August 2015 after reminding myself to do so, a million times earlier in the year.

How did you find out about BrisStyle?

I saw BrisStyle in several places.  On etsy, Facebook and just googling when researching where I'd like to try selling at markets.  I kept saying " Oh I have to get involved in that".  So I did!

Why did you become a member?

Like many creatives, I'm a bit of a 'quiet extrovert' 'outgoing introvert' and I don't always put myself out there in everyday life.  I wanted a place to connect with other local makers that wasn't competitive.

Seeing what others are creating is inspiring and drives me to 'pull my finger out' so to speak.  So I actually create all the things in my head instead of just dreaming about them.



Finally, Why do you craft Jemima?

Because a day where I don't make something...is damn boring!
I want something to colour each day.

I want to paint a story with the things I make and do.

Thank you so much for sharing your creative words of wisdom with us Jemima, it's been very encouraging and inspiring.  ~ anita












No comments: